Sunday, January 31, 2010

Criminally Mediocre

So last night I took a look at a friend's blog and noticed that not only does she continuously say witty, clever things, but she also does high-tech stuff like posting pictures and videos and various links to cool sites and whatnot.  And I thought, hey, how come I don't do that?  (A lot of times when I have a thought it starts with hey.)  Which then brought me to another thought:  what is a blog "supposed" to be like, anyway?  And because I basically can't be bothered posting pictures and videos and whatnot, I'm going to go ahead and say a blog is whatever it is.  That leaves things nice and wide open so that success is almost a given.  I like it when success is a given.

At the moment I sit in a 24-hour laundromat wondering why I didn't push for an apartment with washer-dryer connections.  Of course there's the traditional hum and whir of the industrial sized washers and dryers, and at the moment there are people waiting in line to use such things -- it's Sunday, so of course the laundromat's packed.  But just to give a picture of the rest:  to my right sits a twentysomething attempting to talk to her dad on Skype, and by "talk" I really mean "scream at the top of her lungs so as to out-volume the washers and the all-'80's radio playing above us."  Three kids all under the age of five are frantically and happily doing figure 8's among the machines while their alleged parents chastise them in another language.  Very loudly.  My laundry detergent is safely stored next to me -- occasionally I put my arm around it to make sure it's still there.  Last week someone stole my detergent right off the top of the washer where my clothes were.  You gotta wonder what kind of person does that -- I mean, if I were going to allow myself to stoop to a criminal level, I think I'd pick something a little more worthy of bragging rights than Mountain Fresh Tide 2x strong.  Not to mention it was almost empty.

1 comment:

  1. I had basically never read a blog before I started mine and what I noticed was that many people have a specific concept in mind when they start one - talking about cars, or cranes or quiche or something - and I wanted to keep a diary of what it was like moving to a foreign country. But you know diaries are not supposed to be read by other people...so now I write in case someone else reads it :D It leads to a slightly disconnected narrative but it entertains me. I really think everyone should use their blog in whatever way they choose! You go girl.

    ReplyDelete