Monday, July 19, 2010

I Heart Vermont

On my recent trip to Georgia, I was once again reminded of the vast differences between the North and the South. I really think we should give some more thought to this whole secession thing -- we're already like two different countries. But, while I do love my family and friends in the South, this trip only cemented in my mind how much I love and appreciate Burlington and Vermont in general. So I thought I'd post a top ten list of things I love about Vermont.

Top Ten Things I Love About Burlington/Vermont: (not in order)

1. Great breakfast places: Sadie Katz, Penny Cluse, Magnolia's, Mirabelle's
2. Outdoor life -- the fact that you can walk, bike, ski, etc. to anywhere you want/need to go, besides the fact of just doing that stuff for fun
3. Shiny Happy People -- the most open, accepting, fun, spirited, socially conscious people I've met in any place I've ever lived; this is a place where truly anything goes
4. Lake Champlain and the Mountains
5. Size -- a big enough city to have culture and stuff to do, with a small-town feel, without much of the drama of a true small town
6. Photo opps!
7. Seasons -- four full, beautiful seasons (okay, Spring a.k.a. "mud season"...not so great; and yes, the Winter is long, gray, and cold; but both of those inconveniences are totally worth it for Summer and Fall!)
8. Green in so many ways -- landscape, ecology, attitude, education...
9. Blue Wave Taekwondo (so this one doesn't apply to everyone, but it's definitely on my list)
10. Maple Everything! yum...

2 comments:

  1. I agree my dear. Vermont is perfect for you! Atlanta BAD! Hot, sticky, angry...argh! Love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that Vermonters will attempt to ski and create snowboarding ramps in their back gardens in the summertime. And complain bitterly about global warming when the snow melts for a week in January.

    ReplyDelete