Wednesday, April 27, 2011

On Turning 35

Turned 35 last week. Distressing. Overwhelming, really. Finding it hard to speak in complete sentences. Don't say it -- those of you who're older and **ahem** wiser and want to call me a "baby." I know, 35's not the end. It's not even the middle I guess. I hope.

But let's put it this way: I can no longer say I'm going through a Quarterlife Crisis. And a Thirdlife Crisis just sounds like something totally different.

So...wanna know what I did on my 35th Birthday? Well, I started out the day by going to the police station to get fingerprinted. (this was actually for my new job coming up in May, but I did get some satisfaction out of telling my students that all citizens have to get fingerprinted on their 35th birthdays, just as a way of keeping Big Brother in the loop). Then I had a doctor's appointment. After that I went to Friendly's by myself and ate my weight in Munchie Mania and Cinnamon Roll Sundae. Later that night I drove down to Randolph, VT, attended a Taekwondo class at the Randolph Blue Wave (another gym in our Blue Wave association), and went out with a friend of mine afterwards. The tkd class nearly killed me (I think the instructor was "showing off" because I was there) and Ramsey (the friend) and I didn't get to go out until 8:30, and apparently Randolph completely shuts down at 9:00. But I did have some fabulous lasagna and Ramsey made me some awesome butterscotch/oatmeal cookies. Then I went home and watched Law and Order: SVU with my dog.

OK, so I'm not saying it was a bad day, per se -- far from it, in fact. It's just that...well, I remember when I was in high school, and even college, and how my birthday was such a big deal. All day long I would catch myself thinking today's my birthday!!! and realize I was grinning from ear to ear. And usually there was some big extravaganza planned for that night or for the weekend to follow, and so much of the day would be spent anticipating what was to come. But last week it was just kind of like, oh, yeah, today's my birthday. almost forgot. And then I'd think, and once I'm done with this, I get to go to the...doctor. Oh, but then I'm going out to lunch with...myself. I mean, I know people used to tell me that birthdays become less of a thing "as you get older" -- I just didn't expect that to happen at 35.

Then again, there's a lot I didn't expect to happen at 35. And a lot I did expect that apparently didn't survive the cutting room floor of the movie of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment