Thursday, February 18, 2010

I Give Up

Best conversation to come out of my job teaching high school English this year:

(while doing Mad Libs)
Me: I need a verb.
Student: Corn!
Me: [trying not to mock] Corn is not a verb.
Student: Yes it is.
Me: [now debating whether I should continue this line of discussion] No, it's definitely not.
Student: Yes it is!
Me: [now trying to control fists of death] A verb is something you do. You can't corn something.
Student: Yes you can.
Me: How? How can you corn something?
Student: Like if you throw a corn cob at someone. You're corning them.
Me: If you throw a corn cob at someone, throw is the verb!! [clearly having lost my cool]
Student: Well, you can "do corn," just like you can "do pot."
Me: [still wondering if I should continue] Not that I want to encourage any discussion about doing pot, but if you do pot, DO is the VERB! You can't pot something, unless it's a plant!
Student: Well, pot is a plant...come to think of it, so is corn.

2 comments:

  1. There are days when you can't win...here is a relevant picture: http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/funny-pictures-hamster-has-a-corn.jpg

    hope the link works

    ReplyDelete
  2. In that case the verb is 'has'. Will I send you a picture of my foot? 'My foot has a' - oh never mind.
    Incidentally, if I got an entire, coherent discussion out of someone - even if the premise was wrong - I would be delighted.

    ReplyDelete